Per public health guidelines, access to Town buildings is closed. However, staff is still available - many of them remotely - to provide necessary services. Here's how to work with us online.
Building Counter and Permitting
- Over-the-counter permits are still available through the Town’s permitting website
- Electronic submittals through TRAKIT are required for all residential and commercial projects. All submitted documents must be in PDF format.
- The Town Building Division will not be scheduling any face-to-face meetings. However, we do have the ability to host remote meetings. If interested, please contact 720-733-3527.
- There will be no interruption in the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy during this temporary closure.
- Until further notice, inspection services will continue for new residential, commercial and multi-family construction.
- Building Inspections related to occupied residential dwelling units, that require the inspector to go inside, will be suspended until further notice.
Please Note: In an effort to provide inspections for interior residential projects we will attempt to perform remote inspections using FaceTime, Google Duo, and Skype. These inspections must be pre-scheduled and coordinated with our building and electrical inspectors. The contractor (general contractor for building, mechanical and plumbing inspections; electrical contractor for electrical inspections; or homeowner that performed the work must be onsite to walk the project while the inspector remotely performs the inspection.) Please schedule remote inspections through TRAKIT. An inspector will contact you within 24 hours.
Please also note: For final electrical inspections a plug tester will be required
- Residential inspections for projects on the exterior of occupied dwelling units, such as decks, roofs and photovoltaic inspections (excluding attic) will continue.
- This suspension does not allow work that requires inspections to be covered or concealed until such time that it can be inspected and approved.
Residential permit applications
Contractors are required to have a valid license from a jurisdiction with an ICC equivalent exam, certificate of liability of insurance, workers compensation insurance (if applicable) and current registration with the Town of Castle Rock prior to applying for a building permit. Visit eTrakiT for contractor registration and renewal information.
Homeowners may act as their own contractor for residential additions, alterations or repairs. Homeowner Affidavit - this form is required for homeowner's performing their own work and acting as their own general contractor.
Residential building permit types are available through eTrakiT. The Town of Castle Rock Building Division supports Project Green. Project Green promotes an environmentally responsible and sustainable Town workforce, which includes paperless building permit applications. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their plans electronically in PDF format for review through eTrakiT.
As an alternate to eTrakiT, applicants may send their building permit application packages:
- Email to the Building Division
- Mail or deliver in person to 100 N. Wilcox St.
- Fax to 720-733-2207
Some permit types may not require a plan review and are marked as OTC (over the counter). Please refer to the eTrakiT online checklist or contact the Building Division by email for questions regarding plan review.
Please note - tankless water heaters require a plan review. Please provide the manufacturers specification sheet and load calculations with your submittal.
Residential fire sprinklers
Temporary erosion and sediment control (TESC)
As of July 1, 2019, changes to the erosion control program for residential building are in effect. Here are a few key items that will help make that transition process run smoothly.
Residential developments that must comply with the new vertical residential TESC Permit requirements are:
- All sites without active building permits as of July 1, 2019
- No building permits will be released without an approved TESC Plan and Permit in place
- Sites with 5 acres or more of active building / DESC permitted sites and vacant lots remaining
- The Town will continue to allow building permits to be issued for 30 days once the required Vertical Residential TESC items have been submitted for review
Vertical Residential TESC Permit Submittal requirements:
- Land use application
- TESC permit
- Cost estimate
- Vertical Residential Drawing and Report Checklist
- Vertical Residential Drawing and Report prepared by a professional engineer (example plan)
Submit to DevReview@crgov.com.
Residential developments with less than 5 acres total of active building / DESC permitted sites and vacant lots may apply for a Vertical Residential TESC Exemption and continue with combined Building / DESC Permits until the site is completed, if approved. Submit a completed Vertical Residential TESC Exemption Form and supporting documentation to DevReview@crgov.com.
For more information, see step-by-step instructions.
Residential bonding for final grade
When final grade cannot be achieved due to weather, the permittee may submit the completed form on page 2 of the Residential Bonding Policy for final grade to request approval to post a Fiscal Surety. Bonds will be approved only in cases where final grade cannot be established because of adverse site conditions caused by weather at the time of the final inspection. Bonds for reasons other than weather-related site conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis and are subject to denial. Temporary sediment controls are required at all times regardless of weather conditions.
|Residential detached tract home|
|Residential attached (townhouses etc) home|
|Deck and Porch Uncovered||checklist|
|Covered deck, porch, patio,pergola||checklist|
|Gas line for appliances
|Gas line and sewer line repair
|Residential air conditioning*
|Residential attached garage
|Residential detached garage
Residential hot tub, pool or spa
Residential retaining wall
Residential water heater*
Residential water heater - tankless**
- Custom Home Application
- Building Permit Application
- Landscape and Irrigation Design Affidavit
- Contractor Registration and Renewal Form
- Certificate of Occupancy Policy
- Residential Water Fixture Unit Calc
- Gas Line Appliance Checklist
- 2018 Uncovered Decks and Porches Guide
- 2018 Re-roof Guide
- 2018 Patio Covers Carport Guide
- 2018 One Story Addition Guide
- 2018 Basement Finish Guide
- 2018 Detached Garage Guide
- 2018 Enclosing Patio Guide